Monday, June 1, 2015

Summer Reading Fun! Week One...

     "Summer Reading Program" just sounded way too formal for us.  "Summer Reading Fun" is a better fit around here.  :) I want to keep things VERY simple, and not make reading a complicated or have-to thing for my kids.  I chose some fun topics for each week this summer for us to learn about, and find our own adventures in through reading.  Rather than keeping points or stickers for how many minutes read, I am simply encouraging my kids to read each day... finding books at the library, from a friend or ones I already have on hand that go along with that weeks theme and have planned some simple activities/crafts to coordinate with those themes to keep them motivated.
     We've already begun at our house!  I'm going to do my very best to update each Monday of what I have planned for the week ahead.  So feel free to follow along with us, or come up with some ideas of your own.  And if you do happen to have some ideas to add, please share them with me!!  :)

     This week we are reading all about Castles/Dragons/Knights/Kings etc...

What my 7 year old is reading:  "The Knight at Dawn" by Mary Pope Osborne  (She actually read this one the first day, so I went and found her another chapter book... it's a tad above her reading level, so instead we'll be reading it as a read-aloud together.  It's "Dealing with Dragons" book one by Patricia C. Wrede.  (I LOVE both the magic tree house books and Dealing with Dragons series, both were favorites of mine as a kid!)

Other children's books we'll be reading this week:

Sleeping Beauty, Illustrated by K.Y. Craft
Cinderella, Illustrated by John Patience
The Twelve Dancing Princesses as told by Marianna Mayer, Illustrated by K.Y. Craft
Rapunzel by Paul O. Zelinsky
What's Inside a Castle?  (author unknown)
The King's Highway retold and Illustrated by Howard Fullmer
The Knight and the Dragon story and pictures by Tomie DePaola
How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head by Bill Peet
The King's Taster by Kenneth Oppel Illustrated by Steve Johnson & Lou Fancher
The Egg by M.P. Robertson

Activities planned for the week:

This Knights craft by http://www.busybeekidscrafts.com/Knight-Collage.html

And finally this fun Castle painting by http://www.deepspacesparkle.com/2012/01/05/fairy-tale-castles-art-project/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:%20DeepSpaceSparkle%20(Deep%20Space%20Sparkle)&utm_content=Google%20Reader


My whole purpose in doing all of this is to make some fun memories with my kids while reading.  And hopefully a lot less "I'm bored" comments from my children too.  LOL.

Happy reading, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I can see that you take after your mother. What fun ideas. I think I will have Alora and Ava do it the week after you, so that I can plan ahead using your plan. Thank you so much for sharing, this is going to make my summer a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete